Orting Valley Farms

Category Overview

Farmland Preservation protects valuable farmland and habitat for recreationally important animals, like salmon, birds, deer, and elk. These projects allow families to continue farming the land they have worked on for generations, and provide Washingtonians with healthy local food and a diverse economy. WWRP is the only source of farmland preservation funding in the state budget.

Project Highlights

Pierce County, in partnership with the Puget Community Cooperative Farmland Trust, used this grant to acquire three agricultural conservation easements on an historic 100-acre farm in the Puyallup River Valley. The landowner needed to sell all interest in the property, so the County and Trust found three farmers to purchase the underlying land, subject to the easements. This complicated transaction stands as an example of outstanding coordination and cooperation.

Quick Facts

WWRP Applicant: Pierce County of Category: Farmland Preservation WWRP Grant: $633,374.71 Applicant Match: $675,929.58 Project Type: Acquisition County: Pierce Legislative District: 2 Status: Closed Completed RCO Project # 07-1597

Location Details

The farm properties are located southeast of the City of Orting on Orville Road: Take I-5 to the WA-167 N exit - EXIT 135 toward PUYALLUP Stay STRAIGHT to go onto E 28TH ST / WA-167 N. Continue to follow WA-167 through the City of Puyallup (Also known as River Road) Turn LEFT onto N MERIDIAN / WA-167 N. and cross Puyallup River bridge then Turn RIGHT onto WA-167 N Merge to the right onto WA-410 E toward SUMNER / YAKIMA. Take the WA-162 E / VALLEY AVE. exit toward ORTING. Turn RIGHT onto VALLEY AVE E / WA-162. Continue to follow WA-162 into and through the City of Orting (7 miles) Turn RIGHT onto ORVILLE RD E. Main home sites include: 21018, 21108, and 21415 Orville Rd E, Orting, WA 98360

What is the WWRP

The Washington Wildlife and Recreation Program (WWRP) is a state grant program that creates and conserves local and state parks, wildlife habitat and working farms. The Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office administers WWRP grants, and the legislature funds the program.