Jobs and Volunteering
There are many ways you can get involved and support the work of the Washington Wildlife and Recreation Coalition. Together, we can ensure that as our population grows, there will be parks for our kids, fresh and local food for our families, clean water where we can fish and wildlife areas where hunters can take aim.
The Coalition board and staff have committed to improving Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) in all areas of the Coalition’s work—from staffing and board composition to advancing JEDI through our work. Not only are diverse candidates encouraged to apply, but we look forward to staff and volunteers helping identify ways our work can be changed to advance equity and inclusion in the outdoors and environmental sectors.
Our staff is a small, friendly team, driven by a shared passion for Washington’s outdoors. We strive to be adaptive, fun, and collaborative. We are always willing to pitch in on projects outside our own portfolios, to “roll up our sleeves” to get stuff done. We hope you’ll join us!
The Philanthropy Manager will partner with the Executive Director on establishing strategy and executing the Coalition’s fundraising efforts, including major gifts, corporate support, events, and grants. The role includes opportunities for implementing new ideas, as well as for increased responsibility and professional growth.
- Manage major donor relationships directly and/or by supporting the ED and board members; opportunity for increased autonomy and opportunity to manage own portfolio over time
- Manage existing fundraising plan/calendar with the opportunity to identify new prospects over time
- Lead planning and execution of an annual fundraising event (200-500 guests) and other cultivation events throughout the year
- Manage all aspects of corporate and foundation gifts, including prospect identification, relationship management, grant writing, and reporting
- Plan and execute fund appeals and donor communications, including direct mail, email, social media, etc.
- Staff the Board Philanthropy Committee and support the development efforts of the Coalition’s Board of Directors
- Manage transition from Salesforce database to Charity Engine. Help identify opportunities for optimizing the new platform
The ideal candidate will have many, if not all, of these qualifications:
- A commitment to JEDI and a passion for integrating that into our work
- Interest in the environment and outdoors, whether in urban or remote settings
- At least 2 years work experience in a related position
- Proven experience in fundraising, including a combination of grants, major gifts, sponsorships, annual appeals, and/or events
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects toward short- and long-term deadlines
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to explain complex information clearly and concisely
- Understanding of fundraising communications strategies (e.g. storytelling, social media, etc.)
- Experience using a database to track and report on donors and campaigns (CharityEngine or Salesforce preferred)
- Marketing and design experience are helpful, but not required
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
$55,000-60,000 DOE. This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position. The Coalition offers:
- Generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and retirement contributions
- Liberal vacation and sick leave
- Employees choose their own culturally or personally significant holidays
- Remote work flexibility within Washington
- Potential for flex schedules (to be discussed with the candidate)
Our team works fully remotely from our homes. The Coalition provides employees with laptop computers and related equipment, as well as a monthly stipend to offset phone/internet costs.
The majority of the time will be spent working on the computer and/or phone and working collaboratively online with team members. Occasional field trips to project sites, including working farms, hiking trails, and local parks may occur. Reasonable accommodations will be provided as needed.
This position requires occasional travel throughout the state, sometimes including overnight trips. We anticipate 1-2 trips per month, most frequently to the Seattle area, but occasionally to communities around the state. Candidate must have access to a vehicle and be licensed to drive.
JUSTICE, EQUITY, DIVERSITY, & INCLUSION (JEDI)
The Coalition is committed to advancing equity through our work and to becoming a more inclusive organization. People of color and others with underrepresented identities are strongly encouraged to apply. We are a white-led organization. Our board is mostly white. We have a long way to go in regards to JEDI, but are committed to this work. We are actively learning and welcome the opportunity to improve our efforts every day. We are especially committed to making the Coalition a welcoming workplace for people of all identities.
The Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not discriminate based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, political ideology, age, veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic prohibited by law.
Please send your resume and cover letter to admin(at)wildliferecreation.org. Your cover letter should describe your qualifications and skills. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, beginning immediately. All candidates must be eligible to work for any US employer.
Photography: We need photographers to help take photos of the park, farm, and habitat projects funded through the WWRP grant program. Please contact us for a list of projects in your area.
Share a photo with us on Facebook of your favorite place in Washington!
Other: The Coalition is always looking for volunteers to help out with office work, events, communications, fundraising, and much more. Let us know what your interests and skills are!
To volunteer: Email us to get more information.