Samish River Unit Parking and Recreation

Category Overview

The State Lands Development and Renovation category provides funding to two state agencies to repair, renovate, and develop outdoor recreation facilities on existing recreation lands. As the popularity of outdoor recreation increases in our state, these grants help address overcrowding, ensure our outdoor amenities are safe for public use, improve visitor experience, and allow more people to enjoy our great outdoors.

Project Highlights

The Department of Fish and Wildlife will use this grant to construct new facilities to enhance public access and recreation to the Samish River Unit of the Skagit Wildlife Area. The scope of this project is to develop a new gravel parking lot, install fencing, gates, a hard surface pad for a ADA portable sani-can, and mitigation. The primary recreational opportunity provided by this grant is for fishing, hunting, photography, and wildlife viewing.

Quick Facts

WWRP Applicant: Fish & Wildlife Dept of Category: State Lands Development & Renovation WWRP Grant: $182,300.00 Applicant Match: $0.00 Project Type: Development County: Skagit Legislative District: 40 Status: Active RCO Project # 16-1469

Location Details

From I-5 heading North, take exit 231 for WA 11 N/Chuckanut Dr toward Bow-Edison. At the traffic circle, take the 3rd exit onto WA-11 N. At the next traffic circle, continue straight to stay on WA-11 N. Turn left onto W Bow Hill Rd. Take a slight left onto Main St. Main St turns right and becomes Gilmore Ave. Continue onto Farm to Market Rd. Turn right onto Bayview Edison Rd. Continue for 1 mile on Bayview Edison Rd, until you cross the Samish River. Pull over onto the road shoulder immediately after crossing the river, and the property is located on the South side of the road. The western property boundary is where Bayview Edison Road makes a 90 degree turn to the South.

What is the WWRP

The Washington Wildlife and Recreation Program (WWRP) is a state grant program that creates and conserves local and state parks, wildlife habitat and working farms. The Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office administers WWRP grants, and the legislature funds the program.